organize your purse


After that last post about the things I carried around in my purse, Zane Saria and Emma Regulski had asked about how I kept everything in my bag/how things (like my cables) didn't get tangled up, and I realized: I actually do keep my purse clean and organized.

Of course, then, I got curious and wanted to see how other ladies organize the contents of their purse, so I went off to read some blogs about organizing purses. Some like using clear plastic baggies to keep similar items together, and some use this purse organizer thing called a pouchee.

The (current) purse from Target:


The only requirements that I have for my everyday purse is that: there is at least 1 accessible pocket for my phone (inside the purse in one of those 'phone' pockets or one that is outside) and that it is big enough for me to carry my 5x8 sketchbook around. This purse only has the interior zippered pocket, no phone-pocket, but there are nice side pockets in the outside that I use for my phone (when I don't have it glued to my hand, hah).

The interior zippered pocket contains these:


My keys and ID badge for work. I don't like having to fish around for these items so they are also easily accessible (but further in my purse).

I didn't take a picture of my sketchbook and notebook because I forgot I thought they were pretty self-explanatory. My pen hooks onto the band that keeps my sketchbook shut.

Next are the items that are allowed to 'float' freely in my purse (and get lost?):


They are pretty easy to find, because they have distinct shapes. I also don't really use those clips very much because my hair is short enough that I don't need too many hair accessories. They're there mostly for when I want to pin my hair back to eat food, haha!

Now for organizing things! I am a bags-in-bags person and use zippered pouches (and they both look/feel different). This is helpful for me because I like to change out my purse a lot and it makes it easier to transfer items, especially when transitioning to a weekend-bag.


My two pouches! The top one has my cables (to charge things if I need to when I'm at work) and the bottom one is my personal items.


This pouch is pretty small so the cables don't really get tangled up. As a point of reference, it's just big enough to fit my ipod nano (which sometimes gets thrown in the pouch like it is today).


Make-up, face stuff, feminine products, etc, in this little pouch. I like it because I can just take this pouch to the restroom if I need to and leave the rest of my purse locked up at my desk. When zipped up, the contents shift around so that the pouch is flat-ish.

Both pouches are structured as well.

I don't really have bits of trash because I don't stick them in my bag. I do have a little clear folder on the back page of my sketchbook (those who have ever used a moleskine or similar type of notebook know what I'm talking about). I sometimes put small flyers that are interesting or business cards or etc.

As for receipts... they of course go in my wallet! But I regularly take them out and store at home so I don't have to carry them around so much. My current favorite wallet (haha this one was also from Target) is this one:


It's large enough to carry many things, and it also looks kind of like a clutch and I can carry it around on it's own.


Lots of compartments! The top one has the receipts I get, some cash, and my debit card usually gets put there when I'm lazy. There are lots of slots for cards on the bottom as well (though most are like ID cards and my health insurance card haha). And a zippered middle for my change.


I also carry around stamps?! I keep meaning to send mail to some of my friends... I have all the postage ready, I am just lazy when it comes to the actual letter writing. I also have cash on hand just in case.

But yes, you can imagine that this wallet gets really thick if I don't empty out the receipts regularly.


And that's all! Everything is easy to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment