drawing inspiration books

I had tumblr posts about these books a long time ago, but those posts are suspiciously missing, so I thought I would talk about them again here:





The Art of Urban Sketching (Amazon) - I am a huge huge fan of Urban Sketchers so when I found out that they were planning on this compilation of sketches I ordered the book right away. As the title suggests, the sketchers featured are those who love drawing in urban settings (whether they draw people or buildings or landscapes, it doesn't really matter, as long as they draw from observation).





The Essence of Watercolour (Amazon) - I've never heard of this watercolor artist before, but the cover image is so striking that I decided to buy it as well. I really love this type of loose, expressive, spontaneous watercolor style. There are a lot of techniques explained and it makes me want to try it out for myself.





Drawn In (Amazon) - Another sketchbook compilation-type of book. The artists featured are very clearly in the design industry, and their sketchbooks are like works of art within themselves. It's clear that many of these sketchbooks are also used as an idea journal, rather than for observational sketches and such. Some pages are full of patterns, while others play with typography. Comic artists might have some comic panels in their sketchbooks as well.





Architects' Sketchbooks (Amazon) - I am biased because I used to study Architecture, haha! Architects are designers too, so I think that an architect's sketchbook is also a tool to explore ideas. I think there's a misconception that an architect's sketchbook is full of these insane perfectly measured perspective drawings, when in reality there might be pages upon pages of scribbles and diagrammatic schemes (think Frank Gehry sketches, hah). Anyways, there's a lot of variety in this book too, lots of collages, mixing 2d media with 3d rendering. Love it.
 


Maybe next I'll try to buy Fashion Illustration books next, though I've not really attempted to draw fashion illustrations. 100 Years of Fashion Illustration (Amazon) or Masters of Fashion Illustration (Amazon) or Great Big Book of Fashion Illustration (Amazon)?

No comments:

Post a Comment